top of page

The Dangers of Blue-Green Algae

What is it?

Summer and warm weather conditions promote the growth of Cyanbacteri. The bacteria itself is invisible to the naked eye, but may appear pea green in colour or have slime on the surface.

What can it do?

Sadly, exposure to toxic blue-green algae is often fatal, and can also cause long term health problems in dogs that survive after drinking or swimming in algae-contaminated water. Some types of blue-green algae can kill a dog just 15 minutes to an hour after drinking contaminated water.


Your pet may present with signs of:

  • Drooling

  • Disorientation

  • Weakness

  • Vomiting

  • Panting

  • Collapsing

  • Seizure

  • Respiratory Failure

  • Death

Where is it?

It is typically found in ponds and lakes, but can also be present in oceans, fresh water, damp soil, backyard fountains and even on rocks.

6 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page